Before going vegan I made the best brownies. Since going vegan , I wrote them off as something that I wouldn’t be able to adjust. Saying this I recently adjusted my recipe and they are just as delicious and just as gooey!
250 g vegan butter (I normally use Vitalite or Pure)
200 g good-quality vegan dark chocolate
50 g chopped nuts, optional
a handful of left over chocolate chunks, optional
80 g cocoa powder, sifted
65 g plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
360 g caster sugar
4 flaxseed/chia seed eggs
1.Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a square baking tin with baking paper.
2.In a large bowl over some simmering water, melt the butter and the chocolate and mix until smooth.
3. Now make your flax/chia eggs** and place in the fridge until needed.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, nuts, chocolate chunks and sugar, then add this to the chocolate and butter mixture. Stir together well.
5. Take the eggs from the fridge and check your egg like consistency (you made need to add a little more water) and mix in until you have a silky consistency.
6. Pour your brownie mix into the baking tray, and place in the oven for around 25 minutes. The brownies should be slightly springy on the outside and gooey in the middle.
7. Once cool remove from baking tray and cut into squares. Enjoy with vegan ice cream, coconut clotted cream or on its own.
**Flax/chia egg- In order to make a one flaxseed or chia seed egg, combine one tablespoon of flax seeds/chia seeds to 3 tablespoons of water. This recipes requires 4 tablespoons of flax/chia seeds and 12 tablespoons of water. Leave to set in a fridge for a least five minutes.